Prepare yourself! 5G is a journey from 4G to new services, which will be enabled by lightning fast, millisecond delay and a hundred times more bandwidth. Telia wants to challenge you to think, develop and hack these 5G services, and to create future customer experiences. In other words, experiences which go beyond what we have seen and experiences in our phones today. These apps may relate to everyday life by making it easier or more fun.
Create mobile apps for 5G age, no matter whether the mobile is a phone, smart glasses or other wearables.
Solution domains we appreciate
- Online virtual reality experiences: demo-games, demo-entertainment/TV
- Smart Entertainment Home, combination of home entertainment and smart home
- Homeworks and future school
- Fitness and exercising with 5G
5th generation mobile networks or 5th generation wireless systems, abbreviated 5G, are the proposed next telecommunications standards beyond the current 4G/IMT-Advanced standards. Rather than faster peak Internet connection speeds, 5G planning aims at higher capacity than current 4G, allowing higher number of mobile broadband users per area unit, and allowing consumption of higher or unlimited data quantities in gigabyte per month and user. This would make it feasible for a large portion of the population to stream high-definition media many hours per day with their mobile devices, when out of reach of Wi-Fi hotspots. 5G research and development also aims at improved support of Device-to-device communication, aiming at lower cost, lower latency than 4G equipment and lower battery consumption, for better implementation of the Internet of things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G
Telia has done first experiments with 5G in 2016 reaching data speeds of more than1G in radio network.
We are doing more experiments and demos in coming months and years. 2018 we will, as first in Europe, launch 5G network in multiple countries including Finland. We are working closely with major network suppliers to maintain our nro 1 position in 5G before and after launch.
Resources for developers
- IoT platform
- WebRTC platform
- Spotify APIs
- SIM cards (4G)
- Oulu 5GTN project 5G test network
- Tech and business support
- Android apps are preferred
- Projects should explain the benefits on how they utilize the features of 5G network.
- IPR for any software codebase or documents produced during the competition will stay with the participating team, even though ideas cannot be protected.
- TeliaCompany has the first right to negotiate further collaboration with the team to purchase or continue working on the project initiated after the hackaton.
10000 eur, plus possible a pilot or partnership with TeliaCompany
Judges and mentors
Judges: Mika Raitola, Tommi Mattila and Raine Jurva
Mentors: Esa Kling and Simo Veikkolainen
What is Telia?
Telia has a complete range of mobile services and is one of the leading mobile operators in Finland. Telia is also a large provider of fixed communications and TV. The operator offers communication services and broadband access to businesses and consumers across the country and has a strong presence with a complete selection of fixed services in the northern, eastern and south western areas of Finland. The company provides wholesale services in both mobile and fixed communications.